Monday, February 14, 2011

I did it!

I called the ADA and asked for the substitute advocate I had to be my advocate for the trial!  It was really hard, and I felt awkward when she asked if something happened to make me want this change.  I just told her though that nothing was wrong with the old advocate and nothing had happened, I had just felt super comfortable and supported around the substitute advocate and my therapist and I thought the change might help me especially on the day I have to testify.  So the ADA is going to see if the Advocate I want is free on the trial date and if so she'll switch advocates for me.  I just have to wait and see.

Unfortunately I didn't find a secret trick to make it easier to call and ask for what I need.  I just did it first thing this morning because I knew if I waited it would give me time to psyche myself out.  I had already gone over different ways to ask for what I needed without sounding demanding with my therapist and my boyfriend, so I kinda knew what I needed to say.  I was, however glad that I actually got the ADA and not her voicemail because if I had had to wait for her to call me back I'm not sure I would have been able to do it.

I'm glad I got this out of the way, and even if it doesn't work out I'm glad I asked for something that could really be helpful to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment